When I woke up to the patter of rain at the beginning of today, I did what came common. Went to the kitchen and hacked a few veggies for a bowl of hold-me custom made soup. This Real Healthy Tomato Soup formula was the outcome.
Previously, before I started to eat healthy, chilly climate would make me ache for tomato soup from a can, finished with curds and a side of flame broiled cheddar sandwich. Nowadays I wouldn’t touch soup from a can, dairy or grains, yet with this formula despite everything I get my tomato soup. The additional cuts of avocado copy the smoothness of curds, and a toasted cut of almond bread pleasantly replaces a barbecued cheddar sandwich.
REAL HEALTHY TOMATO SOUP RECIPE
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 sweet, yellow onion, chopped
- 3 sweet colorful bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz organic tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ cup filtered water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cut a large X into the bottom of each tomato, then drop into the boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove with tongs. Set on a cutting board and allow to cool. Once cooled, peel and seed the tomatoes, then chop.
- In a large soup pot, heat the coconut oil over medium. Add the onions, bell peppers, bay leaf, thyme, paprika and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes, until the onions and peppers become tender.
- Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper and water. Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and tomatoes, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- *Optional* At this point you have the option of blending your soup, for a smooth consistency. It is not necessary, it you prefer a chunky soup then do not blend. To blend: Allow the soup to cool before blending in a food processor or by using an immersion blender.
- To serve, remove the bay leaf, ladle the soup into 5 soup bowls, then top with sliced avocado and chopped cilantro.